Halloween Rant

I was reading a post at Biblical Womanhood about why Christians should/should not celebrate Halloween.

I thought my blog would be the perfect soapbox for me to say, again, I HATE Halloween!

There is nothing about the day that appeals to me. Dressing up as a Bible character or VeggieTale is not any more alluring than dressing up as a ghoul.

My children getting bags of candy from strangers (that they went door-to-door to ask for!) goes directly against what I try to teach them the other 364 days of the year.

I don’t think my children are missing out on a thing, so I don’t feel the need to provide them with an alternative. We are not Jewish, therefore do not celebrate
Rosh HaShanah. We are not compelled to come up with an alternative on that night, we simply don’t celebrate it.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why we would want to participate in such a worldly and satanic holiday.

Some say as a Light in the Darkness. The children coming to my door on that night (which they don’t) are not looking for Spiritual guidance, they are looking for candy. If I were to ‘witness’ to them by dropping a tract in their goodie bag, it would be tossed with the empty candy wrappers at the end of the night.

Some say just harmless fun.
Wikipedia says the following:

The modern holiday of Halloween has it's origins in the ancient
Gaelic festival known as Samhain. The Festival of Samhain is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture, and is regarded as 'The Celtic New Year'.[2] Traditionally, the festival was a time used by the ancient pagans to take stock of supplies and slaughter livestock for winter stores. The Ancient Gaels believed that on October 31, the boundaries between the worlds of the living and the dead overlapped and the deceased would come back to life and cause havoc such as sickness or damaged crops. The festivals would frequently involve bonfires, where the bones of slaughtered livestock were thrown. Costumes and masks were also worn at the festivals in an attempt to mimic the evil spirits or placate them.[3][4] When the Romans occupied Celtic territory, several Roman traditions were also incorporated into the festivals. Feralia, a day celebrated in late October by the Romans for the passing of the dead as well as a festival which celebrated the Roman Goddess Pomona, the goddess of fruit were incorporated into the celebrations. The symbol of Pomona was an apple, which is a proposed origin for the tradition of bobbing for apples on Halloween.[5]

Hmmm….doesn’t sound harmless and certainly doesn’t sound fun.

Philippians 4:8 tells us……… Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

I can’t find anything lovely or praiseworthy about Halloween.

I see nothing desirable about Halloween and can find no justification to participate in the practicing of it.

My final thought on the matter is this:

You cannot drink the Lord's cup and the cup of demons. You cannot participate at the table of the Lord and at the table of demons.

1 Corinthians 10:21

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post. I didn't grow up in a christian home so we "celebrated" Halloween. When I became a christian it started bothering me. My husband, who grew up in a christian home, sees nothing wrong with it. But he has let me minimize our children's exposure to it.

If you don't mind, I'd like to print out and show him your post.

You make a very sound argument against it.

Erica in Canada

Eyvonne said...

Sorry I didn't get right back to you, we're out of state.

You may certainly print out my "rant" to share.

Thanks for your comment.

~Eyvonne