Let Him drive

I once heard a preacher say, "It's not so much that Peter believed in Christ, but that Jesus believed in Peter."

That spoke to my heart. Peter was a rash, impulsive, stubborn, prideful man that had the best of intentions, but not always the best actions or attitude. I could be named Peter.

Jesus had to rebuke and admonish Peter on more than one occasion. He had to remind this zealous Apostle that there was a Grand Plan and, although Peter was a part of it, he wasn't in charge of it! The Lord often reminds me of the same fact!

I know God has a plan for my life - and the lives of my children. I know it’s a good plan, not to harm but to prosper. I know only He can fully carry out the details in a perfect way. Why then, do I feel the need to be in control? Why do I worry & fret and try to make things go my way?

Right after Jesus told Peter that he was hindering the Will of God (Matthew 16:23), Jesus went on to say this:

“Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat, I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself? What could you ever trade your soul for?” (The Message)

Man, I want to embrace that truth! To totally let Him lead. To completely surrender my will for His. To emphatically know that His will is best even if things don’t feel great at the time. Lord, may Your Will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Fully, completely and immediately.

The same Peter that said, “Impossible, Master! That can never be!”, also said, “Since Jesus went through everything you’re going through and more, learn to think like Him. Think of your sufferings as a weaning from that old sinful habit of always expecting to get your own way. Then you’ll be able to live out your days free to pursue what God wants instead of being tyrannized by what you want.” (1Peter ch 4)

There was a lot of growth in Peter between the Gospels and Peter’s letters. Jesus knew Peter had it in him. Built His Church on that. Jesus believed in Peter!

“It’s not so much that Eyvonne believes in Christ, but that Jesus believes in Eyvonne!”

No comments: